This week we hopefully can take the time to think about what we are grateful for. As I was thinking about my list, I was thinking about the importance of practicing gratitude all year. There are so many benefits of doing so! I wanted to share 10 with you.
1. It forces you to think about something positive
2. You will be focusing on more positive, thus you will feel more happy in general.
3. If people who are grateful tend to be more happy, they will attract more people to them socially. People generally want to be around happy, positive people (unless they are miserable and misery loves company )
4. Being grateful increases your energy.
Think about how you feel when you think about depressed things all day. Think about how you feel when you focus on positive things all day.
5. Thinking of what we have been given keeps us humble.
6. Being grateful forces us to reflect inward and look inside ourselves.
7. Thinking of what we are thankful for helps remind us of what’s important.
If you practice this daily, I doubt you will say “I am thankful for my sports car” everyday. But I bet your family and friends will be on the list daily.
8. Being grateful boosts your health.
The more grateful we are, the less stress we feel. The less stress we feel, the better our immune system. The better our immune system, the more we are fighting off illness and disease.
9. Practicing a life of gratitude keeps you more at peace. It creates more optimism and hope. When you focus on be grateful, you remind yourself of the good, which can lead to feeling hopeful and peaceful.
10. Having a life of gratitude keeps us connected to our Faith.
Even in hard times, we can know God is up to something and knows exactly what we need, and is providing that for us.
Here are 2 quit things you can do everyday to practice a life of Gratitude:
>>When my son cannot sleep, I tell him to count everything he is grateful for. That way he can fall asleep thinking of all the good in his life, rather than the stress of not sleeping (This works like a charm!)
>>I’m sure you’ve heard it but I’ll say it again because it deserves repeating- keep a gratitude journal. Write down 5 things everyday you are grateful for.
I want to tell you that Imagine Hope and it’s readers, followers, and clients are among my things I am grateful for everyday. I love what I do and the people I work with and for. Thank you for being a part of our community. May God richly bless you this Thanksgiving!
Written by Natalie Chandler
Natalie Chandler, MA, LMHC is a therapist at Imagine Hope Counseling Group. Natalie enjoys doing marriage counseling, individual counseling, and couples counseling. We also specialize in family counseling, child, and adolescent counseling. Imagine Hope serves the Indianapolis area including the surrounding areas of Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville, Westfield, and Zionsville