How many (emotionally) unsafe people have you recognized so far? Here a few more characteristics:
17. Unsafe people confront not to forgive, but to condemn and punish. (For more information on forgiveness with unsafe people, see Natalie’s blog at www.imaginehopecounseling.com/nkcblog).
18. Unsafe people stay in parent/child roles instead of relating as equals (e.g., “I feel like a kid around them”, “I feel like I have to be their parent”).
19. Unsafe people are unstable over time instead of being consistent. (Time is the best judge of character!).
20. Unsafe people are a negative influence on us, rather than a positive one.
21. Unsafe people gossip instead of keeping secrets.
Emotionally unsafe people can make life difficult and create a lot of anxiety and uncertainty if you don’t recognize what the characteristics are. Hopefully, this has helped you identify some of the unsafe people in your life… and possibly in yourself.
For more information on being in an emotionally unsafe environment, check out the blog at www.imaginehopecounseling.com/jwblog.
* Source: Unsafe People, by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend
Joleen Watson, MS, NCC, is a therapist at Imagine Hope Counseling Group. She enjoys doing marriage counseling, relationship counseling, couples counseling, and individual counseling. Imagine Hope also specializes in family, child and adolescent counseling and serves Indianapolis area including the surrounding areas of Carmel, Noblesville, Zionsville, Westfield, and Fishers.